Monday, March 5, 2018

Research, Research and More Research

We are still in the brainstroming/preparation stage. The inner work-obsessed monster in me suddenly comes out when I remind myself that we are supposed to be researching instead of jumping to the production stage. I know we made a schedule but on the inside I am dying to just start filming and editing. You see, one side of me is fast-paced and productive while the other is laidback, stress-free, and just does work occasionally. I reeeeaalllly hope that I can balance them out, you know, be work-oriented but not freak out all the time. Well, anyways I did research on our documentary so here it is:


  • A lot of TV documentaries are based on famous people (Whitney Houston might have her own documenary, what a legend) or topics that raise controversy (like Rachel Dolezal and her identity but let's not get into that).
  • According to IMDb, Mythbusters is a documentary series and you really do learn something new everyday
  • Most of the viewers who watch TV documentaries are Netflix viewers and stream it from there. 
  • According to this article, documentarians create films based on "the most challenging issues" in their opinion. 
    • Filmmakers are excited for the future in documentaries, as mor epeople want to learn more about a certain subject or are intrigued by the genre. 
    • Most funding comes from foundation grants, followed by licensing deals and then broadcasting stations.
    • Latstly, most of the documentaries are distributed for educational purposes followed by grassroots or community screening. 
      • Honestly, what surprises me the most is that besides in this class, I have barely seen any documentaries unless you count Bill Nye's show as a documentary. 
So far, I have learned a lot about documentaries that I didn't know before which is strange because it's my favorite genre of film. Let's just see how I can use all this information for our own project...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Well guys, it truly has been a blast making this project but wow I am so happy we finished it! Thank you to the cast for helping us create s...